Visit the workshops where cigars are made; enter the San Juan Bautista church and see one of the three existing Christs of the Agony in the world; wander between the Monday tianguis (market) stalls.
Things to do
Services in Coscomatepec
What Makes It Magical
Between the mountains and out of the mist, emerges this Magical Town with Totonaca roots. On Mondays, you will see a parade of long and colorful skirts as the women come together in the town center to exchange their agricultural produce. The rest of the week, the main square’s palm trees swaying in the breeze frame the cigar makers, people as they walk by, and the admirers of the Christ of the Agony. All this is protected by its sacred guardian: Citlaltépetl (or Pico de Orizaba, Mexico’s highest mountain).
Why You Should Go
- This is Mexico’s highest mountain and North America’s second highest mountain.
- Reach its snow and ice-covered summit while the tropical sun warms your skin.
- This is one of the world’s most beautiful mountains.
At the Very Least
Spend a night in the Posada del Emperador, and sleep where Maximilian I of the Habsburgs and the revolutionary Benito Juarez slept before you.
- Visit the workshops where cigars are made.
- Learn about the town’s history with the Municipal Palace’s murals.
- Wander through the tianguis (market) on Mondays.