On the central part of the Baja California Sur peninsula and bordering the Mar de Cortés is this small city with traces of French influence. Discover it!
Services in Santa Rosalía
What Makes it Magical
The Magical Town of Santa Rosalía, located in Baja California Sur, is visited for its famous black sand beaches. Contemplating its natural and urban spaces is part of the charm that attracts its visitors and makes its residents fall under its spell. Here the pleasure lies in the tranquility of its streets lined with palm trees, and the vegetation that exists alongside its architecture, where the French influence is part of the landscape.
Santa Rosalía in Baja California Sur is the doorway into the state’s largest municipality: Mulegé, rich in incomparable natural and cultural wealth. It is also a unique place, situated within one of Mexico’s most precious areas, where age-old traditions and customs are brought together.
Apart from its architectural wonders and the gastronomy with hints of French flavors, you can enjoy the sports activities on offer in Santa Rosalía’s bay. Some consider this bay, with its mangrove swamps and ancient rock paintings, one of the state’s most beautiful.
Why You Should Go
- The Iglesia de Santa Bárbara is attributed to the famous Gustave Eiffel, a design he carried out for the World Exhibition in Paris in 1889.
- Its gastronomy has fresh fish and seafood to offer, as well as a few nods to French cuisine.
- There are vestiges of the mining industry that reached global fame as the world’s largest supplier of copper.
At the Very Least
Visit the Museo de Historia de la Minería (Mining History Museum) in order to better understand the history of its people and see details and objects from the era during which the French shaped the town.
- Admire the Misión de Santa Rosalía, whose construction began in 1705.
- Try the bread from El Boleo, where French techniques and recipes are still in use.
- Pay a visit to the Bahía de Concepción for some diving or snorkeling. You can also go sailing, kayaking or surfing.